Creative Opera for Kids! (Ms. Kaarin)
Project Title: Creative Opera for Kids
Project Goal: Our daily projects and discussions will include a focus one or two of the many elements of opera including lyrics, orchestra, singers, instruments, story, acting, staging, set design, lighting design, and more! Based on opera's "greatest hits," such as Carmen, Hansel and Gretel, and The Magic Flute, students will learn a love for opera through creation, as we work toward our final presentation at the end of each week. Final presentations will be a diorama presentation of characters, set, staging and other elements of the particular opera the unit is based on.
Grades 2-6 in fall 2021
- There will be five units in total this summer.
- Each unit is a 5-day project (M-F, 1 hour)
Teacher Bio: Ms. Kaarin
- Performed at the Decameron Opera Coalition's "Tales from a Safe Distance" (Virtual Opera)
- Professional operatic mezzo-soprano based in Boston, MA and Houston, TX
- University instructor of a section of Lyric Vocal Diction for Singers in French, German, Italian, Spanish and English languages
- Professional voice teacher specializing in classical and musical theater genres
- QUESTABOX Book Club teacher for Grades K-4 groups
A Message from Ms. Kaarin: Hi! My name is Ms. K and I'm a professional opera singer! Did you know some of your favorite stories, like Cinderella, are operas as well? Come and join me for an adventure through creation to learn about the amazing world of opera! And bring your craft supplies!
Unit Period & Theme:
Unit 1 (6/14-6/18) The Magic Flute 2PM PST
Unit 2 (6/21-6/25) Hansel and Gretel 2PM PST
Unit 3 (6/28-7/2) La Cenerentola (Cinderella) 4PM PST
No Class (July)
Unit 4 (8/2-8/6) The Magic Flute 2PM PST
Unit 5 (8/9-8/13) Hansel and Gretel 2PM PST
Daily Focus for Each Project:
Day 1 - Story and Characters
Day 2 - Set, Props, and Staging
Day 3 - Acting and Performing
Day 4 - Final Touches and Practice
Day 5 - Presentations
Class Time: M-F, 1 hour
Unit 1, 2, 4, & 5: 2PM - 3PM PST (=5PM - 6PM EST)
Unit 3 Only: 4PM - 5PM PST
- Printer paper and/or construction paper
- Coloring utensils (crayons, colored pencils, or markers)
- Old shoe box
- Optional: popsicle sticks, wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners, or any extra craft materials
- After signing up for the project, your will be receiving a confirmation email.
Class Size: 5-7 kids
Absence & Make-up Policy: No make up for the absent online classes. No refund for the absent online classes.
Cancellation & Refund Policy:
- If you cancel before the April 30, you will get a full refund.
Request for a refund must be received in writing. The summer project application fee (non-refundable $50) will be excluded from the refund.
- If you cancel after April 30, there will be no refund.
- No adjustment of fees if a student is withdrawn during the summer program.
- No refund and no make-up for the absent or late classes.
- No adjustment of fees if a student is dismissed for conduct prejudicial to the discipline and/or good name of our organization.