Writing on Cultural Debates (Mr. Francis)
Early Bird Promotion (10% off) Extended (expires April 14, code: earlybirds)
Project Title: Writing on Cultural Debates - Challenge or Advocate
Project Goal: Students will watch five pre-recorded fun and educational review videos by Mr. Francis who has studied and taught students in the U.K and Europe. He will introduce his interesting review story about an artifact, a person, an event, a place, or a problem/solution in each episode. Each video episode will be exploring a part of European history, culture, and philosophy and more. The students will be receiving a writing prompt per video and asked to submit their completed writings on time. Francis will review them and send his personalized feedback to individual students by email.
Mr. Francis is a teacher who specializes in politics and philosophy and has degrees from the University of Oxford and the University of London in the UK. He plays football and trombone. More pastimes include reading, writing, and learning French, Russian, and Cantonese.
M.A in Religion in Global Politics, Univ. of London
B.A. in Philosophy, Politics & Economics; Law Moderations, Univ. of Oxford
Grades 6 and up in fall 2021
- There will be five episodes for you to watch and write about.
- This project is asynchronous learning, so we don't meet in a live classroom but you should submit your writing assignments on time to receive the teacher's feedback.
- [Optional] You can sign up for a live group workshop with Mr. Francis after completing the whole package (additional fee)
-- Five video episodes
-- Reading resources related to each episode
-- Writing prompt per episode
-- Teacher's feedback on each of your writing
-- 15-min live chat with a teacher (optional, additional fee, $35)
Total 5 Episodes & Focus:
- [Episode 1] Creative Genius – How can we quantify and describe creativity? What makes people love the work of Shakespeare, The Beatles, and Banksy? (Self Introduction Writing)
- [Episode 2] Art in Europe – Does art need to be realistic? What constitutes ‘good art’? (Review/Debate Writing)
- [Episode 3] Architecture – What are some of the purposes of architecture – to impress, to impose, to imprison? How have architects throughout history responded to these challenges? (Review/Debate Writing)
- [Episode 4] Inventions – What is the greatest invention in human history? Discuss various candidates (penicillin, electricity, the internet, the combustion engine, etc). (Review/Debate Writing)
- [Episode 5] Food in the Multicultural World – What’s the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation? (Memoir Writing)
Program Period: May 1 to August 30, 2021 (Asynchronous, Online)
-- If you purchase all 5 episodes, you can work on your pace and submit your five completed writings within 4 weeks. Submitting one completed writing assignment (or more) per week is strongly recommended.
-- If you purchase an individual episode, you should submit your writing within 2 weeks once you purchase the episode.
-- If you don't submit your writing assignments, you won't get the teacher's feedback (This program expires August 30, 2021) and no refund or make-up for that.
How It Works:
- Watch each video (episode) & read the reading materials
- Submit your writing assignment
- Get the teacher's feedback (for each writing)
- Watch the next video and repeat the cycle
- Work on their own schedule and finish the whole package within 4 weeks
- You can have a live meeting with Mr. Francis (additional fee).
- One Self Introduction Writing
- Three Review Writings (persuasive writing)
- One Creative Memoir Writing
- After signing up for the project, your will be receiving a confirmation email.
Absence & Make-up Policy: This project is not a live session. It will consist of watching each video, completing a writing piece on each prompt, and getting the teacher's feedback. No make up for the absent online classes.
Cancellation & Refund Policy:
- No REFUND for the cancellation for any reasons once the student receives the material.